Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More Sashimi @ Sushi Tei

I have time and again heard many people swear off Sushi Tei, saying that the food there isn't quite as good as some other Japanese places. One of the other comparable names that come to mind is Sushi Zanmai. While I do admit that Sushi Zanmai does have some dishes that are better than those at Sushi Tei, I must say that Tei is no slouch in its sashimi. And that to me, gets bonus points. Again, on that fateful day, I did not have my trusty DSLR with me, so I had to settle for iPhone pics.

Our first order is something that you can't get at Zanmai. Fried salmon skin. This is served with mayonnaise. It's a great appetizer and great as finger food. Hot and crispy, just enough to get your taste buds warmed up for the main meal. Fair warning, this dish is not on the menu, so you have to just order it from the waiter/waitress.


As usual, I am not an expert on what the dishes are called, but the next dish was a maki wrapped around spicy salmon and topped with grilled unagi. The maki was also peppered with seaweed and sesame seeds on the outside. The combination of tastes was pretty funky as the spicy salmon was rather spicy. I mean, it is not cili padi kind of spicy, but it was definitely more spicy than most of the Japanese food that I have had. But I did wish that they had used raw salmon instead of the minced spicy salmon, but that's just me.


Of course, no visit to any Japanese restaurant ends without sashimi for me. I was feeling famished, so I went for the five-piece Asama. That means that you get five pieces each of salmon, maguro and hamachi. This is the largest set of Asama that Tei has. It also comes in three and four pieces each. The price for a five-piece Asama was not too bad, damaging my pocket by about RM33.80.


While some may prefer Zanmai, for some reason, I like the sashimi that Tei serves a lot more. Partly because the slices are way bigger and more consistent. You never really know how good the sashimi is at the Zanmai in Gardens. Sometimes it's big and succulent, sometimes it's thin and totally unsatisfying. But this was so good, I just have to put another picture.


As it was pretty late, we did not want to have too heavy a meal, so we settled for three items and luckily, I did not feel too bloated after that.


But we did indulge in all the fine wine that they had. These are just some of our victims that night. 


Just kidding. I don't really drink alcohol. It's just part of the decoration (as if you didn't already know that).

Verdict


And here are the details:

Sushi Tei (Facebook here)
Lot G-16, Ground Floor,
Tropicana City Mall,
3, Jalan SS20/27,
47400 Petaling Jaya.
Contact: 03-7728 4299

And here are other reviews of Sushi Tei:

JasonMumbles
Motormouth From Ipoh
Feed Me Lah!

No comments: